Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tucker Max Deserves a Place in Hell

I just agonized my way through Tucker Max's I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. Why, you ask, would I waste my time doing that? I can only blame it on fascination. I was in a trance caused by raunch, disbelief, and revulsion. I wrote a review for Amazon.com and, because I doubt that the administrators of the website will publish it, I'll share it with you in my blog.

TUCKER MAX NEEDS A LIFE

Why did I do it…something I have resisted all my reading life? I read completely through a book that I detested from the start. After severe self-examination I’ve decided that completing the book was the only way I could offer an unbiased opinion on why I HOPE THEY SERVE BEER is a total waste of time.

The premise, the reporting, the topic, the writing, and the author all stink. The premise that in-depth accounts of rampant inebriation, violent sexual encounters, and body functions gone awry would be entertaining is weak in concept. The fact that the book has sold millions of copies doesn’t change that argument; it only brings forth another problem about public morals, a different subject entirely. The reporting of such incidents is done in such a salacious fashion that I, as a reader, felt my own body functions threaten to rebel. The topic (or three, if you want to lump them together) is not considered fodder for self-respecting readers to chew on, although the author would have you believe that people who don’t embrace his hedonistic point of view are somehow lacking enlightenment. The writing is sophomoric, repetitive, and hackneyed. And the author is a criminal masquerading as a well-adjusted party animal who commits rape, vandalism, drunken mischief including driving, and other assorted unlawful acts.

I adore women…always have. I don’t see the entertainment in demeaning or mistreating them. Nor do I care to read about some alcoholic idiot who, along with his bozo friends, gets great pleasure in the inhumane acts outlined in this book. So I will end this review now, throw the book in the trash, and go back to the delight of my normal life. I don’t regret the 16 bucks I spent for the book and gave it a chance, but hope that you’ll forego the same urge. I’ve told you all you really need to know about this garbage.

I think I've been more than fair in my remarks. I'd love to hear your opinion.

No comments: